Thursday, July 21, 2022

Le Petite Salon


 

Contrary to queer friendly spaces however, queer centric spaces serve as a designated place for queer people to socialize and exist without having to worry about getting hate-crimed for misinterpreting someone's body language. That's why gay and lesbian bars are really important for queer people because it's a space that's just ours as opposed to just being a space that we're "allowed" to be in. You know everyone there is gay or otherwise queer so you don't have to worry about that before talking to someone. 


And that's been a big part of how my interactions at the two types (queer friendly vs queer centric) of spaces have differed because although well intentioned, queer friendly in action doesn't actually mean much of anything since the bars are not necessarily responsible for the people that attend them. So despite a "queer friendly" atmosphere, that little nagging at the back of your head telling you to be careful and to pay close attention fo body language doesn't really go away. You're one misread gesture away from the disapproval of a straight person and even if there's other queer people there, they're usually just as paranoid to act as you. 


That's pretty much my experience when going out to places like Le Petit Salon. A queer friendly club that I found individually and wanted to go to as part of the field blog assignment. The building had a really interesting layout with multiple rooms for different types of music each having their own distinct vibe so you could find wherever you preferred and enjoy the music. Overall I thought the space was really neat but admittedly, I don't know if I'll go back. 


Not a single thing was wrong with the place and the music was fine and the drinks (for educational reasons of course) were fine too. I just had a very hard time immersing myself in the space because, at the end of the day, queer friendly and theoretically safe space, just did not at all seem like it was for me. I was just a guest and I'm not one to overstay my welcome.

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about the differences between "queer-friendly" and "queer-centric." It makes sense that many of the bars around Lyon could be identified as "queer-friendly," but that will probably not be as inviting as a "queer-centric" space. I think that could be the difference I was looking for between my two bars, as well. One was very clearly a lesbian bar, no exceptions, no second-guessing. But the other one was super out and clearly queer during Pride and then reeled it back in after June was over, which made it feel more like an accepting space, not an open one. And, just like you said above, nothing was inherently wrong with the place. The music was good, the drinks were good, and it had a good atmosphere. However, when it comes to a “safe space,” it was only a theoretical safe space, not a guaranteed one.

    ReplyDelete

Resistance Museum

  I recently revisited the Resistance Museum with a friend of mine and refreshed myself on the basic history of WWII. Though I had a time cr...